It was Rory’s birthday over the weekend. She is now three-years-old (I can hardly believe it!) and to celebrate I decided to whip up a batch of special birthday biscuits! This easy homemade recipe is made from wholesome ingredients and the pup goes crazy for them! The juices from the apple sweeten the biscuit and help keep it moist, while the oats offer a tasty chewy texture. Here is the complete hassle-free recipe…

• 1-1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 or 2 organic apples
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp natural honey
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat all-purposed flour
  • 1/4 cup water

1) Chop apple into tiny cubes.
2) Mix oats, flour, egg, apple and water together.
3) Stir in honey.
4) Spoon mixture onto a non-stick cookie sheet in small dollops.
5) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cookies are evenly browned and crispy.

It is such fun to treat your pup to a wholesome treat that they love. I personally plan to bake more often for Rory this fall, especially in light of the recent dog treat scare. Rory goes bonkers for apple so these were a real hit! Maybe next year we’ll serve them at a special dog-friendly birthday party. Do you like baking for your dog too?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1. Gerri McCoy says:

Yes, I love cooking for my dogs, they are so appreciative. Also since they are big dogs, Boxers, store bought treats are for small dogs and few in package….. a waste for my troop! I am about to try your recipe. I have apples on hand. I bake a lot of peanut butter cookies , easy & fast, and they enjoy them. I wanted something different. Thanks.

• Laura Benn says:

Great question! I store them just as I would regular oatmeal cookies for people — in an airtight Tupperware container at room temperature for 2 to 3 weeks.

2. Kucky says:

So a group of friends and I are doing pintrest party for the holidays and our dogs are best friends. So trying your no peanut butter treats because one of my friends is highly allergic to it. So happy I found something easy anf a little different. Thanks for a great site. Barley says thank you too he really enjoys his freash baked treats.

3. Kim says:

So when I mixed up the batter it was dominated by the apples, I used 2 of them. It didn’t look like they would bake right because they were too “loose”. I put the dough in my ninja and blended it up and it came out really soft. I then dropped spoonfuls onto the baking sheet and they turned out wonderfully my dogs love them!

• Laura Benn says:

Hi Cindy! About 12-14… depending upon how large or small you choose to dollop the mixture! I hope this helps and that your pups like the treats! Laura!

4. Jill Van Vlack says:

I was wondering if an egg substitute can be used like flax? One of my dogs can not have eggs

5. Carolyn Rowland says:

I just made these for my dog that was recently put on a diet. I needed some low fat/ low calorie tasty treats for her (she’s a picky eater) She LOVES them! I cut them in 1/2 so they’d be a little smaller. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

6. KT says:

Hi Goad to find your site with this healthy treat Cant wait to try baking this one but not sure about the oats.
    What kind ? The old fashion one? And how much do you use? Is it one and a half? I’m a new baker I don’t quite sure how to read the recipe. Please advice. Thanks :)))

• Laura Benn says:

Hi there! Great question! We typically use some variety of instant oats (the kind where you just add hot water and leave them to soak for a few minutes). I hope this helps and that your pupsters enjoy these treats. We would love to see a photo of your baking adventure if you feel like sharing!