With Halloween just around the corner, it’s time to start brainstorming some frightful and delightful ways to have a spooky good time! So we’ve cooked up a delectable dog treat recipe that looks very green and ghoulish!
What You Need:
— a muffin tin and muffin cups
— 1 cup diced butternut squash
— 1/2 cup of finely chopped kale
— 1 egg
— 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (optional — this is to help bind the mixture so it bakes more easily)
1. In a sturdy blender mix all of the ingredients until you achieve a thick consistency.
2. Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin. (I personally like using muffin tins when baking for Rory because it cuts down on mess and cleanup).
3. If you’re leaving these out at a party, top each muffin treat with a small piece of bright orange squash.
4. Bake in over at 350 for 15 minutes.
5. Remove, allow to cool and serve! TIP: To make these tasty morsels last longer, cut into small pieces before treating your pup!
The nutritional breakdown:
KALE is packed with natural anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories which helps to alleviate joint pain and stress from daily, repetitive movements. It is also loaded with beneficial vitamins that are sometimes missing from a strictly kibble-based diet, such as vitamin C, K, beta carotene and magnesium. Plus it is low-cal!
SQUASH is colourful, smells wonderful while it is baking and is bursting with provitamin A which helps keep your furry friends’ diet balanced.
EGGS are an excellent source of protein and help to keep a dog’s dog luscious and healthy. They also provide essential minerals.
These treats are a healthy snack for dogs of all shapes and sizes. Plus their green nature is perfect for this ‘spooktacular’ time of year. Serve at your dog-friendly Halloween party and call them something like ‘Brain Cakes’ or ‘Booger Bites’ to really get into the festive mindset.
PAWSH PERKS: Apple-yogurt freezies for dogs.